The CAUT Defence Fund was formed in 1978 and has been incorporated under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, S.C. 2009, c. 23 since 1992. Each member union appoints one director for each 500 of its own members, and some CAUT officers are ex-officio members of the Board of Directors. Directors meet in person at least once a year to oversee the management of the Fund.
The Fund’s resources come from two sources: member unions’ dues and the interest which the Fund earns from its invested assets. Given the ongoing challenges facing universities in Canada, and academic staff unions in particular, the Fund plays a critical role in helping members defend their interests, and thereby the interests of all academic staff.
For additional information about the CAUT Defence Fund, including the By-Laws and Standing Rules and Regulations, please consult the web site or contact the Fund President or Secretary.
What benefits does the CAUT Defence Fund provide?
The Fund provides several supports to member unions, including:
- Daily Benefits, for a union to provide strike pay to its members who are on strike or locked out, or rotating strike,
- Strike Support Loans to cover extraordinary expenses incurred by member unions in preparation for or during a strike or lockout,
- Group Insured Benefit Loans which pay premiums for group benefits during a strike,
- Strike Mediation and Arbitration Benefits towards the costs of mediation or arbitration to settle a strike or lockout,
- Mediation and Arbitration Benefits to assist with mediation and/or arbitration costs in settlement of collective agreement negotiations,
- Bargaining Rights Defence Benefits towards the costs of defending bargaining rights, such as (a) claims of unfair labour practices or failure to bargain in good faith, where a collective agreement is being negotiated, and (b) in legal defence against legislative actions to remove or restrict collective bargaining and/or strike rights.
- Solidarity Daily Benefits for a union’s members who lose pay by lawfully showing solidarity with members of another union by refusing to cross a picket line when those individuals would otherwise be required to cross the picket line to get to their work.
- Strike Support Actions such as sending visitors from member unions to demonstrate in support of a member union engaged in a strike, or other actions that may help lead to the end of the strike.
Benefits are calculated based on annually reported membership numbers.
How much does it cost to join the Defence Fund?
A member union contributes to the financial assets of the Fund in two ways:
- During the first year of membership, a union is required to pay a $30 initiation fee for every dues-paying member in its bargaining unit or units. The initiation fee is reduced to $20 for a union which joins the Fund within one year of becoming certified. Such initiation fees can be paid out all at once or in equal monthly instalments over the first year of membership.
- Each member union pays monthly dues which are set annually, based on a formula using December 1st membership numbers, and any pro-rating of part-time, contract or other types of members for each dues-paying member in its bargaining unit or units. The level of dues is changed from time to time by the Board of Directors. It is currently set at $8.00 per person per month (non-taxable).
Member Unions of the CAUT Defence Fund
Acadia University Faculty Association
OPSEU Algoma University Local 685
Association of Academic Staff University of Alberta
Athabasca University Faculty Association
Atlantic School of Theology Faculty Association
Association of Professors of Bishop's University
Brandon University Faculty Association
Brescia Faculty Association
Brock University Faculty Association
University of Calgary Faculty Association
Cape Breton University Faculty Association
Carleton University Academic Staff Association
Concordia University Faculty Association
Concordia University of Edmonton Faculty Association
Concordia University Part-Time Faculty Association
Dalhousie Faculty Association
Grant MacEwan University Faculty Association
University of Guelph Faculty Association
Huron University College Faculty Union
University of King’s College Teachers Association
Lakehead University Faculty Association
Laurentian University Faculty Association
Syndicat des professeurs et professeures de l’Université Laval
University of Lethbridge Faculty Association
University of Manitoba Faculty Association
Association of McGill Professors of Law
McMaster University Academic Librarians' Association
Lecturers’ Union of Memorial University of Newfoundland
Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty Association
Association des bibliothécaires, professeures et professeurs de l'Université de Moncton
Association des bibliothécaires, professeures, professeurs de l'Université de Moncton, campus d'Edmundston
Association des professeures et professeurs de l'Université de Moncton, Campus de Shippagan
Syndicat général des professeurs et professeures de l'Université de Montréal
Mount Allison Faculty Association
Mount Royal Faculty Association
Mount Saint Vincent University Faculty Association
Association of University of New Brunswick Teachers
Nipissing University Faculty Association
University of Northern British Columbia Faculty Association
Northern Ontario School of Medicine Faculty and Staff Association
Faculty Union of Nova Scotia College of Art & Design
Osgoode Hall Faculty Association
Association of Professors of the University of Ottawa
University of Prince Edward Island Faculty Association
Queen's University Faculty Association
University of Regina Faculty Association
Renison Association of Academic Staff
Royal Roads University Faculty Association
Association des professeurs et bibliothécaires de l’Université Sainte-Anne
Association des professeurs et des professionnels de l'Université de Saint-Boniface
Saint Mary's University Faculty Union
Association des professeures et professeurs de l'Université Saint-Paul
University of Saskatchewan Faculty Association
Simon Fraser University Faculty Association
St. Francis Xavier Association of University Teachers
St. Jerome's University Academic Staff Association
St. Mary’s University Faculty Association
Faculty Association of the University of St. Thomas
St. Thomas More College Faculty Union
University of Toronto Faculty Association
Trent University Faculty Association
University of Ontario Institute of Technology Faculty Association
University of Victoria Faculty Association
University of Western Ontario Faculty Association
Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association
Windsor University Faculty Association
University of Winnipeg Faculty Association
York University Faculty Association